Melatonin can seem pretty safe when it comes to being a sleeping pill, this is due to the fact that melatonin is a natural hormone that your body produces.
The fact is how do you know if you can overdose on melatonin and what happens if it is possible?
Anything that is over the recommended dose is considered an overdose. But, officially, melatonin doesn’t have a recommended dose. Many doctors state that you should not take more than 5mg daily and/or less if you have sleeping issues.
So what happens if you take too many melatonin tablets before bed?
According to research, you aren’t really in great danger if you take a small, see that word, SMALL melatonin overdose.
The truth is many people will take a pill too soon before they go to bed and then decide that it isn’t working and take another one and then when they wake up in the middle of the night take one to two more pills.
Although this may not cause you a lot of trouble, it isn’t the safest or right way to take melatonin. The more that you take the more likely you will end up with some pretty uncomfortable side effects. Then you could end up with what is known as the “melatonin hangover” the next morning. This is because melatonin tells your body that more melatonin means that it is time for you to go to bed.
So, whenever you take melatonin during the night, your biological clock gets messed up and pushed forward. This can cause you to be drowsy the next morning, then you will have a higher risk of causing an accident which could hurt you or other people.
There isn’t really any medical research or advice that states what would or could happen if you managed to take a high dose of melatonin. It is very recommended that you don’t do that. You could have some pretty nasty side effects, which we will get to in just a few moments.
Whatever dose that you take, if you begin to have side effects, then you should speak to doctor immediately.
If you happen to take a large melatonin overdose, whether it be on purpose or by accident, seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Possible Side Effects of melatonin
- Daytime drowsiness – even though it is like putting contains dairy on milk, it can cause daytime drowsiness if it is taken at the wrong time.
- Hormonal changes – even though it sounds obvious since melatonin is a hormone, but the effects can cause problems with your sex drive, ovulation, sperm count, and cause issues in pregnant women.
- Mood changes – if you take too much melatonin, you could have mood swings that range from depression, being over excited, and even sadness.
- Hallucinations, disorientation, and paranoia – the more you take the more likely this is to happen.
- Increase of vivid dreams or unusual sleep behavior – it could cause your dreams to be life like and even cause sleepwalking and nightmares.
So, can you overdose on melatonin? Yes you can. But what happens will depend on various factors and how much melatonin that you have taken. Yes there are harmful effects to taking too much melatonin. If you’re reading this article, you’re probably having issues sleeping. Check out my review of the My Pillow and what are the best over the counter sleep aids. Don’t forget to never pay retail, check out some promo codes for the My Pillow here.